Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Shall I cancel my Memorial Day plans?

This time the notification was different.  Instead of hearing proclamations from a bearded man in a toga and carrying a hand drawn sign.  Instead of finding a group of shoeless followers now deceased and peacefully laying in bunk beds.  Instead of watching the scene played out on a movie screen.  It's now on a billboard near you.

Fear has always been a good short-term motivator to take action.  And, if you believe Judgment Day is coming on the date indicated by a billboard, you are more likely to repent, or at least listen to the radio station they are advertising.

But what happens on May 22nd?  If there is no Judgment Day, what will the Family Radio folks say to each other?  I guess we will have to wait to find out.  For me, I will keep my Memorial Day plans intact.  It was never God's judgment I feared.  Last time I checked, God was not created in man's image.  And, I have trouble believing that God would be as petty and judgmental as so many of those who threaten his wrath.

No comments:

Post a Comment